A patzer's quest
Friday, April 01, 2005
 
Tactics training: PNG instead of PGN
If you are a chess addict living in the digital era, or even worse, a Knight (á la de la Maza)you probably know full well what a Pgn file is. Maybe you even take a healthy dose of it, every day, just to stay sharp tactically, or to review that opening trap in the King's Gambit. However, you can take your training to a new level, just by switching two letters: use png instead of pgn.

Ok, now seriously: I had an idea a few days ago: what if I had all those positions I used to review in Scid, also as images? Load up a few hundred positions into my favourite viewer (IrfanView), and browse through, one position at a time.

So, I wrote a script that extracted the FEN's from the PGN file of Lev Alburt's 300 most important positions, and converted them into PNG images - using the excellent converter of Jean-François, available here. (BTW, have a look at the rest of the site, it is certainly worth your while)

Thus, I now have a set of 300 PNG images ready to review.

What are the advantages? I don't have to use a PGN reader, or Chessbase Reader, I can switch very fast from one position to another, and I'm not tempted to just look up the solution, because the solution isn't there :) Just the initial position, telling me (in the image title) whose move it is. Since I've already gone through these positions using Scid and Crafty, for most of the time, the solution just pops in, filling me with a nice, warm, rewarding feeling :)

If any of you wants to try this at home, here are the files.

Sorry about having to download two different files, it seems I'm not allowed to upload files larger than 1 MB :(
Comments:
I downloaded the files. Thanks!
 
You're welcome. There are more files to follow! :)
 
dac'ai problems cu upload trai altceva, alt server, unde de ex. iti da 300MB space si totu' e fri. Search, and savureaz-o, nu doar spraitu.
 
Is there somewhere where I could download the .PGN file of Lev's positions? Thanks
 
Hi, I really like this idea. However I've clicked on the link and I just get a large LG with links to a TV channel. Where are the actual files for this?

Thanks.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger