A patzer's quest
Tuesday, April 12, 2005
 
[dont]playchess.com
It seems I can't play on playchess.com either. Every time I tried to connect, their client exited with some strange error message. "Access violation". Might be some conflict with SP2.
And no, I'm not writing them to tell them about the problem. They'll probably immediately discover that I have 2 (trial) accounts registered*, ban me from their server forever, confiscate all my assets and start a legal action asking for a life sentence without a chessboard in the cell. And maybe they'll also demand I wear a note attached to my finger, apologizing for having 2 accounts. Thanks, but no, thanks.





* I registered an account years ago, I don't remember the password or the email I used to register with, so yesterday I tried - and seems to have succeded - to register another trial. But I couldn't actually log in and play.

(In fact, the folks at Chessbase are nice, they won't do such things. I had a real pleasant experience with my first trial of playchess, however, I decided not to pay for it, and I chose FICS. A really bad move.)
Comments:
What chess program are you currently using? Of course Crafty is enough for just about anyone but you might also consider buying Fritz/Shredder/Junior. I bought Fritz 8 over a year ago and my "free year with Playchess" seems to be a flexible concept...

- bahus
 
What do you mean by "flexible concept"?
I tried to connect to Playchess using their free client, available for download. I wasn't able to...so I assume the same would happen with Fritz, too.
I considered buying Fritz, but right now I'm on a tight budget (what else do you expect from an eastern european) and besides, I had some bad experiences with the romanian postal system, and I wouldn't entrust a CD to them...I might not get it. Last year I visited Germany, went into a big computer store , that had loads of computer software and games for sale - I was looking for Fritz, but guess what...no Chessbase products, in fact, no chess products at all.
 
I haven't tried the free client but probably it is just the same that comes with Fritz. Some time ago they had a lot of updates going on (nothing visible though) and I had to run IUpgrade.exe several times before I could connect Playchess.

Basically you get a free year to play at their server after buying any chess playing software, but I've heard rumours that in certain countries (like Finland) this free account doesn't seem to close after the first year.

- bahus
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger