A patzer's quest
Wednesday, March 30, 2005
 
Rating again
Having your games rated immediately is, I guess, one of the biggest benefits of online chess. You don't have to waith months to see your rating published somewhere. And, with some simple scripts, you can create statistics :)

So, my rating has been going up lately. I'm almost 1450 right now. Not that it would matter too much, since I'm quite sure another deep plunge is going to follow. But, I'm proud to have a draw (out of 5 games) against players rated between 1700-1800. That's a 10% score. Not really something to brag about, but for me, this is an achievement. BTW, ratings on FICS are typically much lower than the Elo or USCF ratings of the same player. So a 1700 rated player on FICS would have around 1850-1900 Elo. There is an ongoing survey on FICS for that, ran by SurveyBot.

I haven't, as for yet, played anybody between 1800-2000. And it turns out, players rated over 2000 are no match for me. Err...I'm no match for them, sorry. 3 games played, lost them all.
Comments:
I only wish I had an 1850 elo! I'm FICS 1741, but I'm USCF 1543.
 
Yeah, I think you might have gotten that backwards. My FICS is around 1400, my ICC is around 1300. I think the ICC is closer to USCF.

PS
 
Strange. I've always had a higher rating on ICC than on FICS...I mean, for the year I had an ICC account. I could easily get to 1500-1600 on ICC, not so on FICS, where I struggle to maintain even as low as 1400. I guess the only rule is that there is no rule. Statistically, it is nonsense to compare the two ratings anyway, since there is a different pool of players (population) involved, and more, even the formulas to compute the ratings are different....
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger